Deadline: November 27, 2023
Applications for the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program 2024-2025 are now open. The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program provides opportunities for full-time, undergraduate, university/institute students from Tunisia to spend one academic year of nondegree study at a U.S. university or college.
Through academic opportunities, professional engagement, and leadership development, the program fosters economic growth, stability, and democratic development in Tunisia by equipping a network of youth with essential skills to lead positive change in their professional fields and communities.
All participants will:
- Attend classes full-time for one academic year.
- Perform at least 20 hours of community service in their host community during their first semester.
- Complete a part-time practical internship during their second semester.
- This is a fully funded scholarship. The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program is made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Department of State and implemented by IREX. Participants are selected through an open, merit-based competition.
Competition for the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program is merit-based and open to anyone who:
- is a Tunisian citizen;
- currently resides in Tunisia;
- is enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate, university/institute student in good academic standing at the time of application at a registered academic institution in Tunisia;
- is NOT in the final year of their undergraduate program at the time of application
- Architecture students are eligible in their first, second, third, fourth, or fifth year of study.
- Engineering students are eligible in their first or second year (preparatory classes), and third and fourth year of undergraduate study.
- is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- is at least 18 years old by July 1, 2024;
- is committed to returning to Tunisia after completion of the program;
- is able to achieve a TOEFL score of at least 500; and
- completes the academic year prior to study in the United States in good standing with a passing average (a.k.a. moyenne générale).
The application must be completed online. Applicants must fill out all required sections of the application and provide contact information for two references. Reference 1 and reference 2 must be completed by two different individuals who can speak to your suitability as a potential scholarship recipient. References may be provided by professors, advisors, managers, mentors, etc.
Complete copies of all application materials, including references, must be received together in one package as per the application instructions by Monday, November 27, 2023 at 5 p.m. Tunis time. Only complete applications, which include a complete application form with two reference forms, will be forwarded to the selection committee.
For more information, visit Thomas Jefferson Scholarship.