One Young World’s Politician of the Year 2019 celebrates the most impressive, impactful, young politicians around the world. Nominate a candidate or apply to win yourself!
According to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, only 2% of parliamentarians globally are under the age of 30 and just 14% are under 40. The issue is exacerbated by policies in 73% of countries which restrict young people of voting age from running for office. Lack of representation raises the substantial risk of disconnecting an entire generation from their nations’ political processes.
The purpose of this annual award is to highlight the work of young politicians who are using their position to make a difference to the lives of young people in their countries, and to encourage others who may not have considered it as a vocation to do so.
The 2018 winners were:
- Naisula Lesuuda, 34, Kenya – member of the Kenyan National Assembly and founder of Naisula Lesuuda Peace Foundation
- Julius Fieve, 29, Ghana – Local Government Assembly Member in Ghana and developer of a Women Rising and Empowerment initiative
- Sayida Ounissi, 31, Tunisia – Tunisian Secretary of State for Vocational Training
- Jordon Steele-John, 23, Australia – youngest senator in Australian parliamentary history and second to use a wheelchair
- Travis Robinson, 23, The Bahamas – youngest MP to serve on a country’s legislative body in the Caribbean
This year’s award will be presented to the 5 winners at One Young World 2019 in London, which takes place from 22nd-25th October. The awardees will be chosen for the positive impact they have had on their communities, and how they have used their position for the benefit of young people.
Table of Contents
To be considered for the award, nominees must:
- Be aged between 18 and 35 years old
- Hold/have held elected or appointed office at any political level (local, national or supranational)
- Have had a tangible and material impact on young people in their communities
- Have acted to highlight the importance of political participation as a way to effect positive change
Prize for the One Young World Politician of the Year
In addition to receiving the award at the Summit award winners will receive:
- Access to the entirety of the One Young World Summit 2019 in London
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis for the duration of the Summit, 22 to 25 (inclusive) October 2019
How to apply
19 May, 2019
The program website for the One Young World Politician of the Year is http://oneyoungworld.com/politician-year-2019