Deadline: November 28, 2023
Applications are open for the Ocean Country Partnership Programme Scholarships Maldives 2024-2025. The OCPP Scholarships Maldives, funded through the UK’s Blue Planet Fund, offer a unique opportunity for students from the Maldives to undertake a fully funded master’s in marine science. Aimed at early to mid-career researchers who are citizens of the Maldives who wish to develop a career in marine science, the OCPP Scholarships Maldives will support world-class research in the discipline of marine science.
Hosted by The University of the South Pacific, the scholarships will enable students from Maldives to develop their technical knowledge, conduct vital research and help develop innovative solutions to marine environmental problems.
The aim of the scholarships is to support scientific research that will contribute to the conservation and sustainable management of marine resources, and strengthen responses to marine environmental challenges. The scholarships will also make a positive and tangible impact on the livelihoods of coastal communities that depend on healthy marine ecosystems.
The scholarships can facilitate a range of potential projects and research topics including:
- Reducing marine pollution through action on land-based and aquatic-based sources, contributing to improved livelihoods and healthier environments.
- Undertaking research to improve understanding of marine biodiversity to support healthy marine ecosystems.
- Exploring opportunities to improve the management of the marine environment, through mechanisms such as marine protected areas.
Scholarships will be awarded to Masters students on a 2 year basis. Each successful recipient will be entitled to:
- Tuition fees (including general fees and health fees)
- Living allowance
- Research support grant
- Travel grant (on a case by case basis)
- Dependent, disability and maternity costs (case by case basis)
OCPP Scholarships Maldives students studying at the University of the South Pacific are expected to begin their studies in-person at one of USP’s campuses in the South Pacific region. For most courses this will be in Fiji. There is a possibility that some of the later part of the degree programme may be completed remotely from the student’s home country, but this is dependent on the individual’s research project.
- Applicants for Master’s should be citizens of and normally reside in Maldives;
- Should be working in or have experience of work in the areas of environment, fisheries and aquaculture science;
- Should hold an undergraduate or bachelor’s-level degree;
- Should provide an overview of their interest areas that could potentially lead on to future research topics;
- Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria for postgraduate study at the University of the South Pacific.
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Environmental Science
- MSc Geospatial Science
- MSc Marine Science
- MSc Climate Change
Applications for the OCPP scholarships must be completed through the online application form on the ACU website to be considered. If you don’t already have an ACU account, you will need to set one up by clicking ‘Get Started’, in the top right-hand corner of the application login page.
Applications are now open and close on 28 November 2023.
For more information, visit OCPP Scholarships Maldives.