Applications are now open for the Disability Self Help Grants Program to provide grants to assist Victorian disability self-help groups to meet some of the costs associated with providing social, emotional and practical support to their members.
Self help groups bring people with disability and their families together to share insights, provide information, promote community participation and support networking. The grants are available to assist disability self help groups with general expenses and running costs, as well as minor works and equipment. The Disability self help grants program recognises the value of people coming together and sharing their experiences.
This year’s funding round will prioritise groups representing diverse communities, as well as those in rural and regional Victoria, to ensure all Victorians with disability and their families have access to the benefits self help groups offer their members.
Priority groups for 2021-23 include:
- Aboriginal Victorians
- young people (aged 12-25)
- women and girls
- people from culturally diverse communities
- people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender diverse or intersex
- groups based in regional or rural Victoria.
Grants of up to $5,000 per annum are available for a two-year period to assist with administration costs, communications and activities that strengthen the operation of the group.
How can the grant be used?
Grants of up to $10,000 over 2 years are available to support Victorian disability self help groups to:
- Strengthen the capacity of people with disability to live independently and participate in the community
- Support members to make informed decisions about their own lives
- Encourage a network of community peer support and information exchange for people with disability and their families and carers
- Increase opportunities to provide information and education on the experiences of people with disability.
- Victorian-based self help groups that have a focus on disability and are led or managed by members who have lived experience of disability (either as people with disability or family members of people with disability) may apply.
- To qualify for a grant, a disability self help group must:
- have a focus on disability
- be led or managed by members who have lived experience of disability (either as people with disability or family members of people with disability)
- have an ongoing membership
- be a non-government and non-profit making group.
For more information, visit https://www.vic.gov.au/disability-self-help-grants-program